Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Kate's first ER visit

To say I'm tired is an understatement. ugh... where to begin...

Kate has had the sniffles for a few days, nothing more than a runny nose... no fever, no cough, nothing. Well that all changed at 10:30pm last night, 3 hours after she had gone to bed. She woke up crying and could barely breath. I was so scared. I thought that maybe she was just worked up from crying, so I nursed her and layed her in bed with me to keep an eye on her. She quickly fell back asleep, but her breathing was loud and labored. I called Paul to let him know that we may need to go to the ER if it didn't get better (luckily he was on his way home from work, after working a 16 hour shift). Kate woke up again around 12:30 and the breathing sounded worse. I was getting really worried, so we called Paul's mom to come and watch the girls while we took Kate to the ER. While we waited for her to arrive, Paul took Kate into the steamy bathroom and had a hot shower going... the steam seamed to break some of the congestion up and then I heard THE cough. Croup. No doubt about that... We decided to still go to the ER, since her breathing sounded so bad. Within 15 minutes of arriving at the ER we already had seen the nurse, doctor, had our diagnosis of croup and had a dose of steroids to help with the inflammation of her lungs. A breathing treatment started shortly after that. Luckily Kate slept through most of the breathing treatment. Paul and I tried to get some rest on the comfortable ER bed... LOL. I'm pretty sure Paul was able to get an hour or two of sleep there, but I couldn't sleep listening to Kate's breathing. It sounded so bad. Luckily within 3 hours it was getting better and we were allowed to go home. I pushed and pushed for permission to go home, I knew that we could treat her just fine at home, and the steroids were obviously kicking in. We got home about 4ish and I slept till about 6. Kate woke up sounding a lot better... still croupy but better than last night.

2 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

Poor thing. I truly, truly HATE croup.

Bonnie said...

Oh no! I hope Kate is feeling better soon! No fun!!


You've been tagged! Read my blog!